Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Blessed Thanksgiving To All

(This is the 500th post of this blog. I'm glad that this is a special occasion)


The newest issue of Time magazine, coming out in a few days, will feature a cover story entitled "The Decade From Hell". In another month, our nation will be closing up a tumultuous decade, one that began with the worst terrorist attack on our nation, proceeded into multi-military conflicts in the Mid-East, and is ending up with the financial ruin of many of our primary businesses, industries, and, oh hell, the nation, as well. Unemployment is unprecedented, in MY lifetime.

It may be difficult to reflect upon the reasons to give Thanks on this day. Indulge me a moment while I consider this:

I have a wonderful husband who loves me, supports the things I do, and tolerates all the time I spend away from home, working on boards and committees, avoiding housework. I have a loving son and a family who miss me, and love the days we actually get to spend together. I have friends, here and back home, who know me and understand me, and love me in spite of myself. I live in a wonderfully diverse community. There are movers and shakers, whiners and complainers, and a few folks just hiding out all alone, but we all co-habit the same lovely residential community, and respect eachothers' individuality. I am honored to be serving on the board of directors with 8 other individuals who each have a passion to serve their community. We are just as diverse in our thinking as the community we serve. We have a manager and maintenance crew who are industrious and flexible, able to respond to emergencies, sudden demands, and resident needs, at the drop of a hat. I belong to a church; I am able to worship, hold hands and pray with my friends and neighbors, whenever I want.

My "Decade from Hell" may include some unexpected job transitions, an eventual retirement, a bout with malignant melanoma, my mother-in-law's death, my mother's death, and a move to Florida, involving a total change in life style. It truely is NOT any sort of decade-from-Hell... It's just 10 years in the life of..... little old me.

All considered, I am truely blessed.

I hope that you all are able to find some comfort in your reflections on this Thanksgiving day, and the decade. The official future predictions are: It can only get better! God bless you all, and have a meaningful day. Its not about the food, today is all about Thanks.

No comments: