Saturday, November 17, 2007

How to Make a Change in the Park Rules

Two days ago, a very unobtrusive question came into the comments under another post and was quickly buried under a flurry of other comments. An anonymous resident wrote in to ask "How does one go about making a change in the rules of this park?"
My computer sevice was down so I couldn't respond after reading this honest and simple question on my cell phone. You gotta understand, folks, I am certainly not an expert. As of today, I am the SECOND newest member of the Board, with a desire to communicate and respond to all/ most/some of your comments.
This one, I feel, needs to be addressed.
I have been studying the FL statutes for the last few months, and I learn something new everytime I open the book. Its a tough read.
To Anonymous, Here are my suggestions:
Attend the Board meetings. Speak out when the time is right. Request acknowledgement from the Chairperson (Ellen). We try to follow Robert's Rules of Order. There is a right way to present at the meeting. If Ed or Chet are wandering around with a microphone, that is the time to present.
If you are like me, uncomfortable speaking at assemblies, write out your concerns and submit them to a Board member. (Throw it in my mailbox, 15-28, or any other Board member you trust.) Ask that it be addressed at the next Board meeting. Today Ed Bedore presented a request from an individual for a public pier. It WAS addressed, and hopefully will be brought up again in the future, after Ed investigates the cost. I want to investigate federal grants on that topic.

Changes to Official Rules and Regs Documents occur at our March Shareholder meeting. Things are voted by the shareholders at that meeting. Changes to our documents require correct postings and a majority vote. These things are delineated in the FL statutes, and we are trying to stay current with all the regulations. The first step is making your intentions clear. Don't wait too long. Remember that every rule affects every shareholder in the park, and this is nothing to be taken lightly.

No comments: